Desperate for something different to eat during this COVID19 mess, we grilled some turkey kielbasa Saturday night and served it with sauerkraut, potatoes and salad. And like every meal we make, we ended up with leftovers.
On Sunday, I decided to try something different with the kielbasa. Typically, we’d reheat it and enjoy the same meal twice. But with more thyme (haha) on my hands, I thought I’d try something new.
This recipe could be made with andouille sausage, kielbasa or kept meatless if desired. The sausage adds a savory taste as well as protein. Normally I would add diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chilis, but one of my daughters hates cooked tomatoes. I subbed a can of tomato sauce and it worked out well.
This dish was made in my Instant Pot, but it could easily be made on the stove. Chipotle chili powder adds a smoky taste, but regular chili powder or liquid smoke could be used, too.
1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
1/2 white or yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder or liquid smoke
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3-4 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 (30 oz.) can pinto or red beans, drained and rinsed
- Set your Instant Pot on sautee function and add the oil, onions and garlic.
- Sautee with the lid open for ~3 minutes until onions become translucent.
- Add the Cajun seasoning and chipotle chili powder and sautee another minute until onions and garlic are coated.
- Add the tomato sauce, turkey kielbasa, and beans and stir.
- Close the lid to the pot and change setting on Instant Pot to “beans or chili”.
- Place the release valve to airtight and allow to cook 10 to 12 minutes.
- Release steam when done and serve over rice or quinoa.
Makes 6 servings.