Instant pot white bean and spinach soup
The cooler weather does not seem to be going away any time soon, but that means you’ve got ‘thyme’ to enjoy lots of great soup recipes!
This a version of something my mother made during winter months in Youngstown, Ohio. It’s a combination of “beans and greens” (a frugal Italian dish that my parents ate as kids), plus the addition of carrots, celery, onions and garlic.
I made mine in an Instant Pot, but this can be made fairly quickly on the stove. If you’re making it on the stove, use your microwave to steam the carrots and celery before sauteeing them. This helps soften them and reduces cooking time.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 ribs celery (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 white or yellow onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 box frozen spinach
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans Navy or Great Northern beans (drained and rinsed)
Turn your instant pot to sautee mode. Add the canola oil and then the Italian seasoning, carrots, celery and onions.
2. With the lid open, sautee the vegetables and seasoning for 3 minutes until vegetables start to get soft. Add the garlic last.
3. Switch the Instant pot to "soup" mode. Add the block of spinach, broth and 2 cans of white beans and turn the pot on.
4. Close the lid and place it on airtight mode until the soup "beeps" and the cycle is completed. Release the pressure and open the soup.
Serve with shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese if desired.