I know it sounds weird. Garbanzo beans and chocolate. It’s one of the oddest combinations of ingredients I have ever seen. But the beauty of this cake is it’s flour-less (so gluten-free), it’s high in fiber and protein from the beans, it’s high in antioxidants compliments of dark chocolate AND it’s delicious to boot! Another plus? Only 5 ingredients. I love that!
1 (14 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch baking pan.
2. Drain & rinse to beans and pour into a food processor.Â Add all 4 eggs and blend for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is smooth.
3. Melt the bag of chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, spinning the bowl and repeating for 30 seconds until the chocolate is melted.
4. Add the sugar and baking soda to the bean mixture, then add the chocolate. Blend the mixture together & scrape the sides of the bowl until the mixture is consistent.
5. Pour the cake batter in the pan and bake for ~30 minutes until the center is done.
6. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Makes ~16 small servings. Nutrition facts per serving: 215 calories, 7.3 grams fat (3.8 grams saturated), 30 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams protein, 5 grams fiber, 45 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium.