This seasonal salad will become a favorite among your guests. Kale is one of my favorite greens to toy with. Did you know that eating just 1-2 servings of leafy greens may improve your memory?
To improve the texture of kale, place it in a Ziplock bag after cleaning and massage it until it’s shiny. This helps wilt and sweeten this rough green. Honey crisp apples or pears “pair” nicely with any winter greens, pistachios and orange vinaigrette. The salad can be made ahead of time and may actually taste better on day 2 or 3. Add feta cheese or blue cheese or any variation of nuts or seeds.
6 cups kale, chopped, rinsed and massaged
2 Honey Crisp or Granny Smith apples
½ cup chopped pistachios
¼ cup feta cheese
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup canola oil
- Wash and rip the kale. Place in a zip lock bag and massage kale until it’s shiny. Add kale to a large salad bowl.
- Slice the apples into chunks and add to the kale.
- Add pistachios and feta cheese.
- Whisk together orange juice and oil.
- Dress salad ahead of time (if desired).
Makes 6 servings. Nutrition facts per serving: 245 calories, 18.6 grams fat (2.5 grams saturated fat), 5.6 mg cholesterol, 17.7 grams carbohydrate, 3.6 grams fiber, 5.5 grams protein, 141 mg sodium.