I bet you have leftover chicken from Father’s Day grilling. Here’s a simple recipe that your whole family will enjoy. I love the simplicity of jarred pesto, but feel free to make fresh if you’ve got the time and basil on hand. Tofu or cooked turkey would also work well in this recipe. Whole grain penne, ziti or spiral pasta boost fiber content and color. Broccoli adds a hefty dose of vitamin C, folate and fiber to the dish.
2 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks
4 oz. jarred pesto
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb fresh or frozen broccoli
1 lb whole wheat pasta (penne or other tubed pasta)
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions and set aside.
- Steam broccoli for 4 minutes in microwave and set aside.
- Sautee garlic in 1 tsp. olive oil.
- Add chicken, pesto and broccoli and remaining olive oil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to chicken and pesto mixture and blend. Serve with 1 tsp. Parmesan cheese
Makes 8 servings. Nutrition Facts per serving: 300 calories, 8 grams fat, 46.8 grams carbohydrate, 10 grams protein, 6.7 grams fiber, 8 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium.